The inpatient pharmacy at Bay Area Medical Center (BAMC) offers skilled consultation on your medicine and pharmaceutical treatment while you are in the hospital.
Often during a stay at the hospital, your medicine is changed. It can be very helpful to have a trained professional there to answer questions and make sure you are comfortable with any changes and the possible side effects.
The BAMC pharmacy offers these services:
- Antimicrobial Stewardship - monitoring of cultures and sensitivities by pharmacists to ensure proper antibiotic coverage.
- Pharmacokinetics Services - individual dosing of narrow therapeutic index medications.
- Anticoagulation Services - individual dosing and monitoring of patients on anticoagulants including Warfarin. Educate patients on appropriate use of anticoagulants at discharge.
- Medication Therapy Management - daily monitoring of patient lab values, medication histories and clinical progress to ensure appropriate drug selection and dosing, as well as checking for drug interactions.
- Pharmacists are ACLS - certified to respond in cardiovascular medical emergencies.
- Medication Reconciliation at hospital admission and discharge - making sure patients are maintained on appropriate medication therapy through the transition of their medical care.
- Patient Education - educate patients with Congestive heart failure (CHF), Acute coronary heart disease, Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and Pneumonia to ensure proper medication use with patient compliance at discharge.
- Bay Area Cancer Care Center - work closely with nurses and physicians in the oncology clinic to process chemotherapy and medication orders, as well as monitoring lab results, drug dosing and interactions. Pharmacists are also involved in investigational drug clinical studies on oncology patients.
BAMC has a pharmacy in Stephenson, Michigan, that is staffed by a licensed pharmacist and carries a complete line of over-the-counter products.